According to Garcia y Garcia Region VII, Insula VI was one of the insulae most devastated over the years since its excavation.
He calls it the “Cinderella” of Pompeii. Between the years 1759 and 1762 it was vandalised and stripped by the Bourbons, then re-interred.
Then came the slow and non-systematic uncovering again before the final destruction in September 1943.
The area was ignored and abandoned during the years following the war, which reduced the insula to a heap of bricks and masonry.
See Garcia y Garcia, L., 2006. Danni di guerra a Pompei. Rome: L’Erma di Bretschneider. (p.102).
VII.6.4 Pompeii. December 2005. Site of entrance, looking south.
VII.6.4 Pompeii. May 2005. Looking south from shop-room, into remains of a rear room linked to the atrium of VII.6.3 by three steps.
This room would originally have been a cubiculum in the north-east corner of the atrium.
The next remains of a room to the south would also have been a cubiculum.
The mound of earth would have been the site of the closed ala on the east side of the atrium.
See Eschebach, L., 1993. Gebäudeverzeichnis und Stadtplan der antiken Stadt Pompeji. Köln: Böhlau. (p.293)
VII.6.4 Pompeii, shown only in the lower left corner. Looking north towards Vicolo di Modesto, abt. 1870.