According to Garcia y Garcia Region VII, Insula VI was one of the insulae most devastated over the years since its excavation.
He calls it the “Cinderella” of Pompeii. Between the years 1759 and 1762 it was vandalised and stripped by the Bourbons, then re-interred.
Then came the slow and non-systematic uncovering again before the final destruction in September 1943.
The area was ignored and abandoned during the years following the war, which reduced the insula to a heap of bricks and masonry.
See Garcia y Garcia, L., 2006. Danni di guerra a Pompei. Rome: L’Erma di Bretschneider. (p.102).
Looking north-west towards site of cubiculum on west side of entrance corridor, which was destroyed by bombing.
According to Fiorelli, this house only had the entrance and fauces excavated (by 1873).
On the stucco on the front of the house, there were the remains of the graffiti:
C(aium) Cuspium Pansam
a[ed](ilem) d(ignum) r(ei) p(ublicae) [CIL IV 542]
and painted in large letters in red –
Secundus Tyran(n)us Fortunatus [CIL IV 543]
See Pappalardo, U., 2001. La Descrizione di Pompei per Giuseppe Fiorelli (1875). Napoli: Massa Editore. (p.160).
See Epigraphik-Datenbank Clauss/Slaby (See www.manfredclauss.de)
Looking south across threshold or sill towards Vicolo dei Soprastanti, from entrance.
VII.6.28 Pompeii. September 2005. Remains of impluvium in atrium.
VII.6.28 Pompeii. June 2012. Looking north-east across area of rooms on east side of the atrium.
Looking north across remains of atrium, andron and tablinum to the area of the south side of the peristyle.
The bombing on 13th September 1943 destroyed two cubicula, one in the south-west and the other in the south-east of the atrium.
It also destroyed the west and east portico of the peristyle, a cubiculum on the east of the peristyle, and the perimeter wall to the north.
All the painted decoration was lost, the Second style in the tablinum, the Third Style in the cubiculum on the east side of the peristyle, and the beautiful garden painting on the north and east sides of the peristyle.
See Garcia y Garcia, L., 2006. Danni di guerra a Pompei. Rome: L’Erma di Bretschneider. (p.106-7)
Looking north-west from rear of tablinium towards remains of west wall of peristyle.
In the picture can be seen a low wall or threshold of the tablinum, the andron and the doorway to room 7.
Also visible is a masonry altar. This area was devastated by bombing in 1943.
Photograph courtesy of Soprintendenza Speciale per i Beni Archeologici di Napoli e Pompei. Negative number C369.
According to Boyce, near the south-west corner of the peristyle stood a rectangular masonry altar, coated with stucco.
On the top of it, traces of burning were visible at the time of excavation.
He also said that holes found in the earth near the altar were explained by Spano (Not.Scavi) as being the decomposed roots of a large tree.
Spano thought this may have been an arbour sacra, which may have been honoured by sacrifice upon the altar.
See Boyce G. K., 1937. Corpus of the Lararia of Pompeii. Rome: MAAR 14. (p.67, no.291)
Not.Scavi, 1910, 466f and fig.9,9a.
Looking west from approximate area of room 5, on the west side of the peristyle, towards VII.6.38.
Slightly to the rear of the remains of the column, on the right, indicates the approximate position of the north wall of the peristyle.
The north wall was where the important garden painting would have been.
VII.6.7 can then be seen, at the rear.
This area was devastated by bombing in 1943.
See Jashemski, W. F.,
1993. The Gardens of
Photograph courtesy of Soprintendenza Speciale per i Beni Archeologici di Napoli e Pompei.
Negative number C361.
Looking north-east towards doorways to rooms 21, site of cubiculum 8, and room 9, on east side of peristyle.
On the left, room 9, and passageway, in centre, leading to shop at VII.6.19.
The east wall of the latrine of VII.6.7 is centre left, and VII.6.28 on the right, behind the column.
The capitals of the House of Pansa can be seen in the centre of the photo.
Photo courtesy of Drew Baker.