IX.9.7 Pompeii. May 2005. Entrance doorway, looking south towards rear room.
According to NdS, this shop communicated with the entrance corridor of the adjacent house (on the right).
The rear room had walls with white decoration, and a window which was found destroyed in the pilaster to the right of the entrance room.
On this pilaster, in the front shop-room, a series of vertical and parallel lines traced with charcoal were found, which were undoubtedly accounts.
It was likely that here in this shop, the vinarius (vintner) owner or tenant of the adjacent house, sold his wines, and in fact, five amphorae were found (see NdS, 1888, p.523)
See Notizie degli Scavi, 1889, p.126.