IX.14.4 Pompeii. May 2005. Entrance doorway, with wide travertine sill.
When excavated this doorway was found with its two large bronze door hinges, in situ.
The walls of the entrance corridor fauces A were of rough plaster.
The floor was made of mortar scattered with small fragments of marble.
IX.14.4 Pompeii. May 2005. Tetrastyle atrium B, looking south.
The flooring of the atrium continued from the fauces, and was made of small marble pieces scattered through the mortar.
The walls of the atrium were also of rough plaster.
According to Sogliano, this proved the house that was one of the most ancient in Pompeii, was being renovated and redecorated at the time of the disaster.
Without doubt, the rough plaster was destined to be painted but there was no time to begin it.
The four tall Corinthian columns were at all corners of the large impluvium.
The columns were 7.20m tall ( taller than the ones in the House of the Silver Wedding, at 7.12m tall).
These columns gave the impression of the height and grandness of how the atrium must have looked.
IX.14.4 Pompeii. About 1909. Tetrastyle atrium B under excavation.
Photo courtesy of Rick Bauer.
IX.14.4 Pompeii. Old undated photograph. Tetrastyle atrium B.
Impluvium with marble table (e), basin (d), puteal and satyr fountain statue (c).
IX.14.4 Pompeii. About 1905. Fountain statue (c) of young Satyr.
See Notizie degli Scavi, 1905, p.249, fig 4.
IX.14.4 Pompeii. May 2005. Looking south across atrium towards tufa impluvium.
In the centre was a circular marble fountain disc (a).
IX.14.4 Pompeii. Looking north across atrium B towards entrance doorway and fauces A.
Photographed 1970-79 by Günther Einhorn, picture courtesy of his son Ralf Einhorn.
IX.14.4 Pompeii. May 2005. East side of atrium B and doorway to cubiculum E.
IX.14.4 Pompeii. December 2007. Three cubicula rooms C, E and F on the east side of the atrium.
All of these doorways were found with their thresholds or sills made of lava.
In the room on the left, the south wall still shows a small area of II style painted decoration.
When found, the walls had large panels of painted imitation coloured marble, but the colour had faded.
Each panel was surrounded by a yellow fascia, also of painted imitation marble.
IX.14.4 Pompeii. Old photo taken between 1902-1905.
Two of the three doorways seen in the previous photo above.
On the left, the middle room E of the three doorways.
On the right, the doorway to the southern-most room F.
See Notizie degli Scavi, 1905, (p.251, fig 5).
IX.14.4 Pompeii. December 2007. Room E on east side of atrium. East wall.
According to Sogliano, this cubicula had each of its walls decorated with three large panels.
The panels had a white background, the base of the wall was painted red.
In the middle of the central panel of the east wall was the only preserved medallion (dia. 0.21m).
It was enclosed in a red circle and showed the head of two figures, one male and one female on a blue background.
These may have been of Mars and Venus.
In the middle of a side panel was a flying eagle with a rabbit between its claws.
See Notizie degli Scavi, 1905, (p.253)
IX.14.4 Pompeii. May 2005. Room E on east side of atrium.
Water spouts or grondaie in north-east corner.
IX.14.4 Pompeii. “Fallen compluvium tile, animal head water spout”, 1993.
Courtesy of Vroma Project.
IX.14.4 Pompeii. December 2007. Doorway to room F cubiculum on the east side of the atrium.
Looking towards east wall.
This cubiculum also had walls divided into panels on a white background, with a red base.
The painting in the centre of the panels had faded and disappeared.